Установите соответствие тем A-G текстам 1-6. Занесите свои ответы в таблицу. Используйте каждую букву только один раз. В задании одна тема лишняя. TEST 08 (part 1)
A. SLOW SUCCESS
B. FILM MUSICIAN
C. LONG HISTORY
D. SEA SOUNDS
E. GREAT CHANGES
F. WONDERFUL PLAYER
G. LIVE PERFORMANCES
1. While the electric guitar was invented quite recently (in 1931, by Adolf Rickenbacker), the guitar itself has been around in various forms for an incredibly long time. Musical instruments remarkably similar to the guitar have been played for at least the last five thousand years. The instrument which million of teenagers today dream of playing in a rock band started its life in Persia (now called Iran), in Central Asia.
2. Humans have only been able to record sounds to listen to later since the middle of the 1800s. Since then, however, technology has developed at an enormous speed. Records, cassettes and CDs have all allowed people to listen to recorded music in their own home. These days, more and more music is becoming 'digital'. We can save pieces of music as files on our computer, and can carry thousands of songs around on personal MP3 players.
3. Everyone knows that the British group The Beatles was the most successful pop group of all time. In the early 1960s, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr changed popular music forever. Things weren't easy for the band at the beginning, though. Lennon and McCartney started making music together in 1957. By 1962, almost every single record company in Britain had rejected them, saying they would never achieve anything. Finally, one record company decided to take a risk with them. By 1964, they were the most popular band in the world.
4. Before pop groups and singers go on tour, they have to make a decision regarding their music. They probably want to play the songs from their latest album in their concerts, but the question is: should the songs sound as similar as possible to the sound created on the album, or should the audience hear a new version of the song? Madonna, for example, is always keen to sing her songs in a different way at concerts. Other singers choose to sing their songs as they sang them on the album.
5. Jerry Goldsmith spent much of his career writing the music for Hollywood movies. From the early 1950s until 2003, Goldsmith wrote the soundtracks for several hundred hit movies, including the Star Trek and Rambo series of films. He often worked on as many as six major movies in one year. If that wasn't enough, he also found the time to come up with the theme tunes for a large number of American TV and radio shows.
6. Dolphins and whales can hear much better than humans can. They can also hear much better than they can see. This does not cause them many problems, however, as sound travels through water much better than light does. They often use sounds to locate things such as rocks and food. Male humpback whales make noises that sound like they're singing. One whale can hear another whale's 'song' hundreds of miles away.